Geometric Dimensioning & Tolerancing (GD&T) Fundamentals
This classroom based training course is designed to help understand and interpret the fundamentals of GD & T. It is based on the ASME Y14.5 – 2009 standard. Formally the ASME Y14.5M - 1994 standard.
By definition, GD & T establishes uniform practices for stating and interpreting dimensions, tolerancing, and related requirements for use on engineering drawings and in related documents.
Course details and prerequisites:
Duration: 2 Days
Type: Instructor Led
- Basic understanding of mechanical drawings
Who should attend this course:
- This course is a valuable tool to any individual who has to create or interpret engineering drawings; for product and gauge designers; CMM operators and quality assurance personnel.
After the training you will be able to:
- Identify the benefits of Geometric Dimensioning and Tolerancing.
- Identify the geometric characteristic symbols used in GD & T and understand their meaning.
- Interpret feature control frames and apply them on drawings.
- Interpret and apply modifiers in feature control frames and how they affect the geometric tolerance specified.
- Interpret Datum Reference Frames illustrating primary, secondary, and tertiary datums.
- Understand the function of datum targets and partial datums.
- Discuss methods of inspection for the different geometric characteristic symbols.
- Recognize composite feature control frames and illustrate how to interpret them on drawings.
- Interpret different examples of GD&T applications from various drawing examples.